Florida Estate Planning Attorney Helps Protect Your Assets

Preserving your family’s wealth for future generations

Whether you’re planning for your future medical care or establishing support for loved ones upon your death, J. Marvin Guthrie Attorney at Law can help with all aspects of your estate plan, including:

  • Advance directives (living wills and health care surrogates)
  • Power of attorneys
  • Choosing the appropriate personal representative and trustee
  • Irrevocable and asset protection trusts
  • Living or revocable trusts
  • Will drafting
  • Estate and gift tax issues

Estate planning documents are extremely flexible and can be designed to fit your unique needs. I work closely with you to determine your goals and create precise instruments to carry out your intentions.

Securing your legacy

You’ve worked hard for your family, so knowing that you have planned for their long-term well-being and financial security can bring you great comfort. We thoroughly analyze your estate and strategize the best means of transferring your assets, minimizing taxes, establishing guardianship for your children, caring for your pets, supporting personal philanthropic causes and protecting your loved ones.

Draft your advance directive, power of attorney, will, and trust

Your advance directive (living will and health care surrogate) sets the parameters for medical intervention should you become incapacitated. This assures that when you are most vulnerable, your wishes will be honored. Similarly, a power of attorney authorizes someone to manage your assets and pay expenses if you become incapacitated.

Your will, together with a revocable trust, provides the opportunity to distribute your property, establish care for your children and otherwise express your wishes upon your death. A will is necessary if you intend to leave property to a person or entity other than a blood relative, such as a domestic partner, a friend or a charity. If you die without a will, the court and Florida law determines how your property is distributed, who cares for your children and even what happens to your pet – making decisions that might not reflect your desires.

Changing your will and trust

As your life changes, so might your estate plan. You should update your will and trust periodically throughout your life. I draft valid codicils and amendments that address changes in your financial situation, marital status, number of children, philanthropic interests and general lifestyle decisions.

Appointment of guardians and trustees

If you have minor children, your will allows you to make decisions about their future care. Naming a guardian is especially important if you are a single parent, but even married couples must consider the remote possibility of dying in a common incident. If you do not name a guardian, the court will appoint one whose decisions may be in conflict with your parenting goals. You can also create trusts for minors to manage their assets and avoid a court supervised guardianship.

Contact an estate planning lawyer you can trust.

For comprehensive estate planning services in Clearwater and throughout Florida, call J. Marvin Guthrie Attorney at Law at 727-449-1600 or contact my office online to schedule a consultation.